Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Dusting Of Flour...

This picture doesn't do these little gifts justice.
They are way cuter and the smell.. mmm.
I will also throw in a handful of pecans.
I am content.  Right now I have shortbread dough just chillin' in the fridge.  I am drinking a cuppa and writing to you.  My kitchen is completely dusted with flour.  According to me that is heaven - with a rolling pin, oven, refrigerator and cookie dough and coffee.  

I woke early this morning so I could make six dozen shortbread cookies for a cookie exchange party tomorrow.  I stood alone in the kitchen, the only one awake with my steaming cup o' joe and my room temperature butter on the counter.  I gathered the ingredients, the mixer, my big Tupperware counter mat and went to work flinging butter across the room in a cloud of flour.  Three batches of measuring, mixing, creaming, kneading, patting, shaping, covering and chillin'.

It is all chilled now so I get to go back in there (kitchen heaven) to roll out and cut cookies and bake.  Soon my house will smell like "Someplace You Never Want To Leave" as I clean the flour off every surface in the room.

I am a messy cook but I am a happy cook.
This morning has been a good morning, indeed.
I wish you all a dusting of flour and all the security and joy that goes with it.

Brown Sugar Scottish Shortbread Cookie Recipe
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/scottish-shortbread-iv/

2c butter
1c packed brown sugar
4 1/2 c all purpose flour

Preparation:
bite size cookies - no pricking necessary  :)

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
  2. Cream butter and brown sugar.  Add 3 to 3 3/4 c flour.  Mix well
  3. Sprinkle board with the remaining flour.  Knead for 5 minutes adding enough flour to make a soft dough.  
  4. I wrap the dough in Saran Wrap, pat into disks and chill in the fridge for about 45 minutes.  
  5. Roll to 1/2 inch thickness.  Cut into 3x1 inch strips.  Prick with fork.  (tee hee)  and place on ungreased baking sheets (I use parchment paper).
  6. The recipe doesn't call for it but I place my cookie sheet with the cookies on it into the freezer for about 15minutes before I put them in the oven.  
  7. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes.  (my bite size cookies baked for 15 - 18 minutes)


Dark Chocolate Cookie Icing
http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/chocolate-glaze-a-recipe.htm

2/3 c powdered sugar
1T unsweetened cocoa powder (I used dark chocolate)
1T water
1/2 t vanilla
Preparation:

  1. Sift together powdered sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl.  Add water and vanilla; mix well.  
  2. Add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency.




No comments:

Post a Comment